The Trees and Shrubs Sales Associate cares for and sells plants to our customers, ensuring that we are always offering customers the very best products and the best solutions for their specific needs. This employee must be very knowledgeable about a wide range of ornamental trees and shrubs and capable of answering customers’ questions regarding selection, planting, and care. This position is full-time from April through December. All Churchill’s employees must be willing to assist other departments during busy periods or when we are understaffed, as we have a collaborative, team-oriented structure.
Disclaimer: Churchill’s Garden Center employee demands vary from season to season. Peak time is Spring (April-June). Shifts can be added, reduced or modified with little or no notice. Days and hours of work vary by schedule. Weekend work required as schedule demands.
- Care for trees and shrubs while they are on our lot, including watering and light pruning
- Answer customers’ questions and help them bring plants to the register and/or cars, as needed
- Assist coworkers in trees and shrubs department and in other departments to complete any tasks needed for overall company success, especially on busy days or when other departments are understaffed
- Unload shipments of trees and shrubs and reorganize the yard to best display the plants
- Assist in basic landscaping tasks around trees and shrubs yard and overall property, as needed
- Maintain a positive attitude and offer excellent customer service
Essential Skills & Experience:
- 3+ years of experience working directly with a wide variety of trees and shrubs in either a garden center, nursery, or landscaping capacity
- Excellent knowledge of different varieties of trees and shrubs and ability to answer customers’ questions about the best plants for their needs and how to plant and care for them
- Knowledge of best practices in watering, disease prevention, pruning, and growing conditions
- Excellent customer service attitude and constant willingness to communicate with customers and coworkers
- Eagerness to stay up to date on trends and products in garden center or nursery industry
- Ability to stand, walk, climb ladders, and move products throughout the entire work shift
- Ability to lift 50 lbs repeatedly
- Willingness to work in all weather conditions
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule that includes weekends, holidays, and overtime, as necessary
Bonus Qualifications (not required):
- Experience operating a tractor or loader or possession of MA hoisting license. Ability to move plants with machinery and load mulch into trucks.
- Current possession of your Pesticide Applicator’s License or willingness to obtain after hire
Reports to: Owners
Salary: $15-20 per hour
Benefits: 401k retirement plan, and employee discount
Schedule: Full-time, non-exempt, 9 a.m.—5 p.m., 5 days per week, April through December. Hours may decrease from January through March, depending on business needs. Working one weekend day is mandatory for all full-time employees.
Location: All work must be performed onsite at Churchill’s Garden Center in Exeter, NH. Remote work is not an option.